This ad is expired.
Staff Sign Language Interpreter
Salary: $7,152.10 - $8,827.65 Monthly
Job Type: Full Time
Job Number: 24-023
Closing: 1/15/2024 6:00 PM Pacific
Location: Both Liberal Arts Campus & Pacific Coast Campus, CA
Department: Human Resources
STAFF SIGN LANGUAGE INTERPRETER ***Certification Requirement revised to reflect the following: National Interpreter Certification (NIC) from the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf-National Association for the Deaf (NAD-RID), CI and CT, NAD IV, or BEI Advanced. Or the candidate must obtain the National Interpreter Certification (NIC) from the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf or BEI Advanced within their first 3 years of employment.***
OPEN RECRUITMENT12-MONTH ELIGIBILITY LIST CURRENT VACANCY: 100%5 STEPS - RANGE 43 AFT$7,152.10 - $8,827.65 MONTHLY Variable Schedule
*Application deadline extended to January 15, 2024 at 6:00 pm*
The Human Resources Department of the Long Beach Community College District is seeking qualified individuals for a current opportunity as a Staff Sign Language Interpreter. The Staff Sign Language Interpreter performs interpreting services for Deaf faculty and Staff requiring a combination of advanced training, skills, certification, and experience in American Sign Language/Deaf culture. The interpreter provides sign-to-voice and voice-to-sign interpreting services for culturally Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing faculty and staff employed with the district. This position will serve all Deaf faculty and staff in the performance of their duties and work responsibilities, including district meetings, activities and/or events where linguistic/cultural mediation is needed to facilitate communication in American Sign Language.
The ideal candidate will have qualifications equivalent to a Bachelor's degree with a focus on Interpreting, Deaf Education/Culture/ASL Linguistics or equivalent is preferred; and a minimum of five (5) years' interpreting experience. The candidate will also possess a National Interpreter Certification (NIC) from the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf-National Association for the Deaf (NAD-RID), CI and CT, NAD IV, or BEI Advanced. ***Or the candidate must obtain the National Interpreter Certification (NIC) from the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf or BEI Advanced within their first 3 years of employment.***
If this describes you, we encourage you to apply for the opportunity to join the innovative and talented Long Beach City College team. Go Vikings!
AT-A-GLANCE POSITION INFORMATION
- Type of position: Full Time
- Position Status: Permanent
- Schedule: Variable Schedule
- Location: Liberal Art Campus, but will support both campuses
- Salary: AFT Range 43 $7,152.10 - $8,827.65 Monthly
- Advanced salary placement: Generally, new employees start at the first step on the salary schedule. Advanced salary placement may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Eligibility list: Will be valid for 12 months once approved or ratified by the Personnel Commission. We reserve the right to use the established eligibility list for vacancies (permanent and temporary) in this classification as well as related classifications
- Benefits: The District provides an excellent and comprehensive benefits package. Please refer to the Benefits tab for more details.
- All Long Beach Community College employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by Jan 3, 2022 in compliance with District Policy. Please note that if selected for employment, you must provide proof of fully vaccinated status by date of hire. Documented proof of vaccination is required as part of the onboarding process. Individuals requesting accommodation must do so in a timely manner for consideration. For more information on LBCC District COVID-19 policy and guides please view our Return to Campus page.
For further information on the position or application process, please contact (562) 938-4837.
ABOUT LONG BEACH CITY COLLEGE:
Here at Long Beach City College (LBCC), we celebrate equity, diversity and are committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity. We strive to ensure a positive and inclusive working environment for all. Long Beach City College is committed to providing equitable student learning and achievement, academic excellence, and workforce development by delivering high quality educational programs and support services to our diverse communities. Please check out the LBCC mission and values and other strategic initiatives below to learn more.
- Mission & Values
- Equal Employment Opportunity Plan (Download PDF reader)
- Strategic Plan (Download PDF reader)
- Office of the Superintendent President
Under general guidance of the Coordinator, Interpreter and Accommodation Services and supervision of the Human Resources Manager, the Staff Sign Language Interpreter performs interpreting services requiring a combination of advanced training, skills, certification, and experience in American Sign Language/Deaf culture. The position provides sign-to-voice and voice-to-sign interpreting services for culturally Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing faculty and staff employed with the district. Interpreting service will involve specialized subject matter and vocabulary requiring a high degree of linguistic, cognitive, and technical skill to accurately mediate language, terms, concepts, theories, and emotions to fully convey all aspects of the interactive experience.
The primary function of this position is to facilitate effective communication and cultural mediation between Deaf faculty and staff members and hearing individuals, ensuring equal access to information and promoting inclusivity. This position will serve all Deaf faculty and staff in the performance of their duties and work responsibilities, including district meetings, activities and/or events where linguistic/cultural mediation is needed to facilitate communication in American Sign Language. The incumbent provides sign language interpreting for District events and may act as a substitute interpreter for other departments when schedule permits.
For the full position description, please click here Staff Sign Language Interpreter
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS FOR THIS POSITION:
Education, Training and Experience:
Bachelor's degree with a focus on Interpreting, Deaf Education/Culture/ASL Linguistics and a minimum of five (5) years' interpreting experience; or an equivalent combination of training, education, and experience.
Licenses; Certificates; Special Requirements:
1. A valid California driver's license and the ability to maintain insurability under the District's vehicle insurance policy.
2. National Interpreter Certification (NIC) from the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf-National Association for the Deaf (NAD-RID), CI and CT, NAD IV, or BEI Advanced. Or the candidate must obtain the National Interpreter Certification (NIC) from Registry of Intrepreters for the Deaf or BEI Advanced within the first 3 years of employement.
Meeting the minimum requirements of the position does not guarantee advancement in the selection process. Candidate qualifications will be assessed to determine those who meet and exceed requirements, and are deemed most competitive amongst the applicant pool to proceed.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS:
To be considered a candidate for this position, all materials required should be received by the Long Beach City College Office of Human Resources by the closing date. Incomplete or late applications will be disqualified from further consideration. Qualified candidates will be notified in writing if they are moving forward in the selection process.
The following examination segments are pass/fail and may be utilized during the selection process:
- screening of the applicant's training, background, and experience
- scored evaluation of responses on a supplemental application/ subject matter expert (SME) review. *** We strongly recommend that you please answer each questions thoroughly. They will be read and scored by SMEs***
- in-person or online:
- written examination(s)
- qualifications appraisal oral examination
- performance examination
- technical oral examination
(the above will be scored on a job-related basis)
Test parts are determined by the size and competitiveness of the candidate pool.
Only the most highly qualified candidates will be invited to continue in the examination process. Successful candidates who pass all parts of the examination process will be placed on the eligibility list in order of their relative merit as determined by these competitive examinations.
*** PLEASE NOTE: The District reserves the right to utilize a flexible pass point (cut-off score) on any test part to meet the staffing needs as determined by the District. Applicants that most closely meet the needs of the District will proceed with the recruitment process. ***
Individuals who require reasonable accommodations in the Application or Examination Process in accordance with ADA should notify the Human Resources Office at least two days prior to the closing date, by calling (562) 938-4372.
THE LONG BEACH COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Long Beach Community College District is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and equity-minded hiring practices. It is the District's policy to ensure that all qualified applicants for employment and employees have full and equal access to employment opportunities and are not subject to discrimination in any program or activity of the District on the basis of ethnic group identification, language, accent, citizenship status, race, color, ancestry, national origin, age (40 and over), sex, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), religion, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, parental status, marital status, military or veteran status, physical or mental disability or medical condition, genetic information, or on the basis of these perceived characteristics.
Transfer Requests for current LBCC Employees:
District employees may request to transfer by completing the Transfer Request Form (Download PDF reader)(Download PDF reader)
Ancestral Land Acknowledgement
Long Beach City College acknowledges our presence on the traditional ancestral land of the Gabrielino/Tongva peoples. This land remains unceded territory. We acknowledge the painful history of genocide and forced removal from this territory. Long Beach City College honors and respects the Gabrielino/Tongva ancestors and their connection to this land.
To apply, visit https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/lbcc/jobs/4260838/staff-sign-language-interpreter
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency